Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Reflection on the U.S. Constitution from 11th Grade Humanities


To Whom It May Concern,

            Throughout the duration of this past unit I have accommodated many pieces of information

about our constitution.  Thomas Jefferson is commonly credited for writing the first draft and I

believed this as true for a long time.  However, I have gained insight recently that it was actually

James Madison who wrote our declaration.  He first introduced what he called the “Virginia Plan” to

the Constitutional Convention in 1787.  This proposed the three branches of power which our

government is founded upon, preventing any one portion from gaining too much power.  The

constitution also contains the Bill of Rights, which states all the basic rights for us as American

citizens.  It states boldly the most important rights we are eligible for, while other rights are plainly

common sense and not included.  The constitution is what we call a “living document” which means

we can still add on to it.  We cannot take out amendments, but we can add new ones to revise them. 

For example, when Thomas Jefferson was running for President, he and his opponent Aaron Burr

tied.  The House of Representatives had to then choose one of them to be inaugurated, therefore

creating the 12th amendment.  I greatly respect the constitution because I live it everyday of my life. 

I have the freedom to believe and say anything I wish to.  If I was arrested, I would have the right to

plead the fifth and not say a word to anyone.  One thing I am worried about however is the day that a

President gains too much power and tries to overthrow the constitution.  A similar situation occurred

when Thomas Jefferson made the Louisiana Purchase.  Although it doubled the size of our nation, it

went back on everything we fought for in the American Revolution.  The idea of someone gaining so

much power like that of a monarch defeats the purpose of our constitution and our country as an

independent nation.  The declaration of independence is the most important document for an

individual to know about because it is the guidelines of one’s freedom.  I am forever grateful to our

founding fathers for providing so much power to the people and equalizing the power of our

government.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home